Moroccan Couscous. Stir in oil and onion, cook until softened. Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper, raise the heat to high and bring the stock to a boil. This Moroccan couscous has a perfect balance of sweet and savory from golden raisins, sun-dried tomatoes, and almonds and complements chicken quite nicely.
Couscous is a healthy, versatile side that you can serve with anything from roasted vegetables to chicken to lamb. Transfer the couscous to the oiled steamer basket. Add the cabbage to the meat mixture, and place the steamer basket on top (seal the joint if necessary). You can have Moroccan Couscous using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moroccan Couscous
- You need 1 kg of couscous.
- It’s 1 kg of meat, cut into medium pieces.
- Prepare 500 g of turnips, cut into quarters.
- Prepare 500 g of carrots, cut into thick slices.
- Prepare 500 g of zucchinis, cut into thick slices.
- It’s 1 cup of chickpeas, soaked in water overnight or equal to 150 g.
- You need 2 of onions, chopped.
- It’s 200 g of butter, cubed.
- You need 1 teaspoon of saffron.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- You need 1 of dried coriander.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Prepare of salt to taste.
- You need of black pepper to taste.
Pour the couscous back into the large bowl and break it apart. The Moroccan couscous is considered one of the most famous Moroccan dishes. The Moroccan couscous recipes are characterized by its unique and good flavors. Couscous is a traditional Moroccan food, it's very famous and well known worldwide as number one healthy Moroccan dish… An authentic recipe for Moroccan Couscous with Seven Vegetables, the ultimate comfort food to enjoy with family and friends.
Moroccan Couscous instructions
- Place the couscous in a bowl and pour a little bit of warm salted water over it. Mix and use a fork to separate the grains. Strain the couscous and place it in a steamer that fits in the pan used for the meat. If you do not have a steamer, you can use a strainer instead, but make sure that it fits on top of the saucepan..
- Place the meat pieces in a saucepan and cover it with 5 liters of water. Then add in the onions, saffron, paprika, salt, black pepper and chickpeas. Bring to a boil then simmer over low heat for an hour..
- While cooking the meat, place the steamer inside the saucepan. When the steam begins to rise from the couscous remove the steamer and return the couscous to the bowl. Set aside..
- After one hour of cooking the meat, add in the turnips and carrots and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add in the zucchinis and coriander..
- Put the couscous again in the steamer and place it inside the saucepan. Cook for 45 minutes..
- When the couscous is cooked turn off the heat..
- Place the couscous in a serving dish and stir in the butter. Remove the meat and vegetables from the broth..
- Make a hole in the middle of the couscous and place the meat and vegetables inside. Pour the broth in a deep serving bowl..
- To serve, place the couscous on individual plates and put the stew on top. Pour the meat broth over..
Lamb, beef, or chicken is stewed with assorted veggies, then served atop a mound of light, fluffy steamed couscous. A flavorful, hearty Moroccan Couscous dish that's packed with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and almonds. It's perfect for summer and sure to be a hit! Enjoy for a healthy lunch or as a side with fish or chicken for a filling, exciting dinner. These tiny balls of semolina wheat are the Maghreb's answer to a starchy grain accompaniment.