Butternut – Kefta and Lentil Tagine. Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, butternut squash, lentils, and salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro and basil, if desired. Serve with a dollop of yogurt if you aren't vegan.
Add the garlic, spices, butternut, chopped tomatoes, and half the fresh parsley and coriander. Simmer covered over medium-low heat, until the butternut or pumpkin is cooked through but firm. Add the chickpeas, lentils, honey, raisins, cayenne pepper or chilli, stir and allow to warm through. You can have Butternut – Kefta and Lentil Tagine using 11 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Butternut – Kefta and Lentil Tagine
- You need 1kg of Butternut cubes.
- It’s 1 of bunches Coriander.
- Prepare 1 can of chopped tomatoes.
- You need 1 small can of Tomato paste.
- It’s 1 small can of tomato puree.
- You need ½ kg of Brown lentils or 2 cans store bought.
- Prepare 2 of Onion chopped finely.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Garlic paste.
- You need 2 tbsp of ground Cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of Turmeric.
- You need 2 – 3 tsp of Red chilli powder.
Add the vegetables and canned tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Delicious and a joy to cook because of the fragrances. I did not have butternut so I added sweet potato instead… Also sadly could not wait to order preserved lemon and so had to make due with salt and a little lemon juice. A Middle Eastern dish of complex flavours, combining health-promoting butternut squash with sweet apricots, honey, intense and piquant preserved lemon, tomatoes and fragrant spices.
Butternut – Kefta and Lentil Tagine instructions
- Butternut – Kefta and Lentil Tagine Make your favourite meatball recipe. Make meatball shapes, place on a baking tray, drizzled with olive oil and bake for 10 mins. Don’t over bake (Oven temperature at 180*c)..
- Method Braise the onions till golden brown, then add the garlic braise a few minutes further before adding all the spices. Cook, for 1-2mins. Then add the coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree and sugar. Leave to simmer for 10 mins then add the butternut and lentils. Add the chicken stock and leave to cook till butternut is tender but not mushy. Add the meatballs & stir gently, cook for a further 10 -15 mins, to incorporate all the flavors..
- Garnish with the rest of the coriander. Serve with Ciabatta or Jasmine Rice. ENJOY! 💜 NOTES: I liquidized half the coriander with the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree & sugar..
Quick and easy to prepare and keeps well in the fridge for up to four days. Serve with herby couscous or crusty bread. Then add butternut squash and what portion you need of the remaining ingredients. Heat the oil in a large skillet with lid over medium heat. Add the cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, garlic, and tomato paste; cook for a minute or two until fragrant.