Mel’s Pinakbet (Aubergine and Fine Beans). Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and add oil. Pinakbet or Pakbet is a Filipino vegetable dish that is flavorful as it is colorful. A medley of local vegetables like squash, eggplant, okra, yard-long beans, and bitter melon.
Pinakbet, or Pakbet an Ilocano dish, is stewed vegetables of eggplant, bitter melon (ampalaya), okra and tomatoes and seasoned with bagoong isda or thick salted fish sauce. Pinakbet is a popular Filipino vegetable stew that consists of eggplants, yard long green beans, tomatoes, okra, bitter melon, squash, with small pork bits, seasoned with fish sauce or shrimp paste. The point of this dish, like most Filipino dishes is that vegetables thrown in the pot are those which are grown in our backyards. You can have Mel’s Pinakbet (Aubergine and Fine Beans) using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mel’s Pinakbet (Aubergine and Fine Beans)
- Prepare 1 pack of Shoulder Steaks.
- You need 3 pieces of chopped Aubergines.
- You need 2 pack (200 g) of Trimmed Fine Beans cut into 3 parts.
- Prepare 4-5 tbsp of Sautéed Shrimp Paste.
- You need 4-5 tbsp of Datu Puti Spicy White Vinegar.
- It’s Bunch of Fresh Chillies and Chilli Flakes.
- It’s 1 of large Chopped Onion.
- It’s 4-6 cloves of Chopped Garlic.
- Prepare 1 of Sliced tomatoes.
Pinakbet is a hearty Filipino stew made of vegetables like squash, eggplant, string beans, okra, and many more. It's traditionally seasoned with onions, garlic, and bagoong or shrimp paste but you could also use soy sauce. It has a nice savory taste that pairs well with a side of rice-make it brown rice or quinoa for a healthier version. Pinakbet is a popular Filipino dish which traditionally consists of pork and mixed vegetables, cooked and flavored with shrimp paste.
Mel’s Pinakbet (Aubergine and Fine Beans) instructions
- Sauté Onions and garlic..
- Add Sliced Pork shoulder steaks and fry until brown..
- Add the sliced tomatoes, and the shrimp paste. Then add 3-4 tbsps of vinegar and a tbsp of sugar..
- Pour the chopped aubergines and cooked for 3-5 minutes then add the trimmed beans. Cover and cooked, stirring occasionally..
- Once cooked, served with warm rice and a garnish of chopped spring onions on top..
Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add two cups of water and the remaining ingredients. Add the beans and the spices and mix so everything is evenly coated. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice or baked potatoes and top with some freshly chopped parsley.