Aubergine Parmigiana. This classic northern Italian recipe is a great way to serve aubergines. By layering them with Parmesan and tomatoes and then baking them you get an absolutely moreish, scrumptious vegetable dish. Great served with all sorts of roasted meats and with roasted fish as well.
The tomato sauce can be doubled and frozen for another easy dinner. Aubergine parmigiana (aka melanzane alla parmigiana, or parmesan aubergine, for the sake of linguistic consistency) is that rare and glorious thing: Mediterranean stodge. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry. You can cook Aubergine Parmigiana using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Aubergine Parmigiana
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- It’s 1 of aubergine.
- Prepare 2 of courgettes.
- It’s of Passatta about 1/3rd of a big bottle.
- Prepare of Brown bread crumbs.
- Prepare of Grated cheese.
- It’s of Italian herbs.
- You need of Olive oil.
Fry the slices, in a single layer, turning once, until browned on both sides. In fact, you can make the classic parmigiana with a variety of vegetables – from zucchini to cardoons! It's always important to specify which vegetable you used; otherwise, parmigiana is considered, by default, to be eggplant parmigiana! Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce.
Aubergine Parmigiana step by step
- Saute garlic, onions and cougette rounds in olive oil..
- Saute aubergine rounds in olive oil..
- Layer veg between smears of passatta and sprinkles of herbs..
- Top with bread crumbs and grated cheese and bake 30 minutes 175° or so until soft inside and crusted on top..
Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Place eggplant in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, basil, bay leaves, oregano and thyme in oil until onions are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and lemon-pepper.