Butternut Squash Tagine. Add the vegetables and canned tomatoes and bring to a simmer. For the butternut squash tagine, heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add butternut squash mixture and apricots to tagine; stir to combine,.
Make it any night of the week for a vegetarian staple! This hearty vegetarian (and vegan) dish is jam packed with warm flavors! It is gluten-free, dairy-free, full of plant-based protein, and is pleasing for the whole family! You can cook Butternut Squash Tagine using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Butternut Squash Tagine
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil or fry light spray.
- You need 1 of medium sized butternut squash, chopped into small 1cm cubes.
- It’s 4 Cloves of garlic, bashed and roughly chopped up.
- Prepare 1 of Red onion finely sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground ginger.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 1 carton of passata 500grams.
- You need 3 of preserved lemons, pips taken out and roughly chopped up.
- It’s 200 grams of halloumi cut into cubes.
- Prepare 150 ml of stock (vegetable or chicken).
- It’s 1 tbsp. of clear runny honey.
- Prepare 12 of olives.
- You need to taste of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s of Fresh coriander as a garnish.
- You need of Yogurt – optional.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, boil the remaining stock. Divide the couscous among plates, top with the tagine and mint. Butternut squash absorbs all of the flavours of the dish and is an excellent source of vitamin A. Soon you and your family will be feasting on this delicious, fragrant and healthy Moroccan chicken tagine.
Butternut Squash Tagine instructions
- On the hob! Slice in half and remove the seeds from the butternut squash, peel, and chop it. USE a STRONG sharp knife..
- Chop up the onion and garlic..
- Prepare the spices and lemon..
- With a saucepan or tagine heat it up on the hob to a medium heat. Drizzle or spray the oil and add then throw in the onion and garlic, let it slowly soften for 4 – 5 minutes stirring regularly..
- Next add the spices for a minute or two to heat through, then the lemon. Add the butternut squash stirring well to coat all the cubes with the spices. Splash in the tomato passata, stir….. and the honey and salt and pepper..
- Pour in the stock cube, now let the sauce do its things, bring it down to a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally to make sure its not burning on the bottom..
- Check the butternut squash with a fork or knife after 20 minutes to see if its soft all the way through but not mushy. It may need another 10 minutes or so. At the end stir in the halloumi and olives to heat through..
- Serve with couscous, and flat breads! delicious!.
Moroccans are healthy people because they eat a lot more vegetables than meat. Tagine is a North African dish traditionally made with meat and vegetables, slow-cooked in a shallow earthenware pot by the same name. Lula used sweet potato, but I went with winter squash for a slightly more seasonal approach. I did borrow their idea for serving tagine with pickled golden raisins, which add a delightful punch to every bite. Season generously with salt and pepper.