Aubergine Parmigiana. Donal's aubergine parmigiana is so easy to make and tastes wonderful. It's simpler than a lasagne and lighter, too. The tomato sauce can be doubled and frozen for another easy dinner.
Great served with all sorts of roasted meats and with roasted fish as well. Aubergine parmigiana (aka melanzane alla parmigiana, or parmesan aubergine, for the sake of linguistic consistency) is that rare and glorious thing: Mediterranean stodge. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry. You can cook Aubergine Parmigiana using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Aubergine Parmigiana
- Prepare 1 of aubergine, sliced thinly.
- You need of salt.
- It’s 350 g of passata or chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 1/2 of an onion.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (reserve some for the top).
- It’s of Flour.
- You need 250 g of mozzarella.
- You need 75 g of parmesan cheese.
You can call it eggplant parmesan, or simply eggplant parm, but to us it will always be simply parmigiana. In fact, you can make the classic parmigiana with a variety of vegetables – from zucchini to cardoons! It's always important to specify which vegetable you used; otherwise, parmigiana is considered, by default, to be eggplant parmigiana! Place eggplant in a colander; sprinkle with salt.
Aubergine Parmigiana step by step
- Lay the aubergine out on kitchen roll and sprinkle liberally with salt, leave for the 30 mins. Turn over the aubergine and sprinkle the other side with salt. Leave for a further 30 mins..
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not browned..
- Add the passata and the basil and simmer for 10-15 mins, season to taste. Leave to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 170 C fan. Season the flour. Dust the aubergine lightly with the flour. Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine one each side for 2-3 mins, until lightly browned, you will need to do this in batches, then set aside..
- Add a little of the tomato sauce to the bottom on the dish, then start layering, add a layer of aubergine, then add a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle with both cheese. Repeat 2 more times finishing with a layer of cheese..
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 mins, then remove the foil and continue to bake for 20 mins. Scatter over the reserved basil leaves. Serve warm with crusty bread and a salad..
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, basil, bay leaves, oregano and thyme in oil until onions are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and lemon-pepper. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses.