Moroccan Chicken Tagine. Sweet and savory stewed chicken with dried fruits and exotic spices. Serve this on top of couscous and top with toasted almonds and fresh cilantro. Children love the familiarity of the 'sweet' spices and dried fruits.
Moroccan tradition is to eat directly from the tagine, using Moroccan bread to scoop up the chicken and sauce. Belgian fries (patate frite) often top the chicken, though you can use your favorite French fries. Serving rice on the side also helps you soak up the tasty juices. You can have Moroccan Chicken Tagine using 20 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Moroccan Chicken Tagine
- It’s 500 gram of chicken on bones, curry cut.
- Prepare 1-2 of onions, chopped.
- You need 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of tomato paste.
- You need to taste of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 tablespoon of yoghurt.
- You need 2 tablespoon of parsley & coriander leaves, chopped.
- It’s 1-2 of dried lime.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of roasted coriander-cumin powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of cashew nuts.
- You need 1-2 of tomato, sliced.
- You need 2-3 of green chilies.
- You need 1pinch of saffron soaked in 1/2 cup lukewarm water.
- You need as needed of cashews to garnish.
- You need as needed of coriander leaves to garnish.
In Morocco, the most common vegetables used in chicken tagines are potatoes, green peas, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, and zucchini. Honestly, most of the time, I make my Moroccan chicken tagine with whatever vegetable leftovers I have. In your tagine (or Dutch oven pot), place ALL of the ingredients for the chicken but DO NOT place it on the heat yet. Gently and thoroughly rub the chicken in the seasoning and the onions.
Moroccan Chicken Tagine instructions
- Marinate the chicken overnight with the ingredients starting from ginger-garlic paste to cashew nuts..
- Heat oil in a tagine pan and saute the onion till light brown in colour..
- Add the marinated chicken, saffron water, tomatoes & the green chilies..
- Cook, covered on a low flame for 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is tender. When done, switch off the flame and keep it covered for 10 minutes..
- After 10 minutes..
- Serve hot, garnished with fried cashews and coriander leaves.
Make sure the chicken is in direct contact with the bottom of the tagine, not on top of onions. Moroccan Chicken Tagine is a highly versatile dish. The slow cooking process infuses the meat or vegetables with rich incredible flavors that burst out as soon as you take a bite. According to my Moroccan friend, the spices vary from region to region, mostly due to local taste and customs. A tagine is a cooking vessel used in many Moroccan recipes that's make of earthenware and has a domed top that returns all condensation to the food, keeping everything moist (genius!).